Protection and Privacy of Pupil Records
The school district recognizes its responsibility in regard to the collection, maintenance, and dissemination of pupil records and the protection of the privacy rights of students as provided in federal law and state statutes.
The following procedures and policies regarding the protection and privacy of parents and students are adopted by the school district, pursuant to the requirements of 20 U.S.C. § 1232g, et seq., (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)) 34 C.F.R. Part 99 and consistent with the requirements of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 13, and Minn. Rules Parts 1205.0100-1205.2000.
Student Education Records
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students who are 18 years of age or older certain rights with respect to the student’s education records. These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day ISD 728 receives a request for access.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the parent or eligible student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
- The right to provide written consent before the school discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.
- Other school officials within the educational agency or institution whom the Superintendent or his/her designee has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(3) are met. (§ 99.31(a)(1)).
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by ISD 728 to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
Release of Student Directory Information
Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), specified student data is classified as Directory Information, meaning that if requested in writing the school district must provide the following:
- Name, address, phone number
- Date of attendance
- Awards received
- Participation in officially recognized activities
- Height/weight of athletic team members
- Most recent previous educational agency or institution
If you do not want any of the above made available, you must submit a letter to the ISD 728 Technology Department at 11500 193rd Ave NW, Elk River, MN 55330 by no later than September 18 each school year.
The military, for recruitment purposes only, is entitled to additional information as defined by federal and state statutes, but are subject to the same information processing fee as identified above.
Parents may request that none of this directory information is made available.
Please Note: If you choose to withhold this information, it will be withheld from ALL. For example, students whose directory information is not to be released are excluded from published programs and honor rolls because these documents are considered public.
A parent or student who is 18 and wishes to make directory information private must notify their principal in writing each year that the child attends ISD 728 schools.
Parents/guardians who do not want any of the above made available must submit a letter to the ISD 728 Technology Department at 11500 193rd Avenue NW, Elk River, 55330 no later than September 18 each school year.
Parents/guardians who do not
want student data made
available must submit a letter
to: ISD 728 Technology Department
11500 193rd Avenue NW
Elk River, 55330
no later than September 18.
Please Note: If you choose to withhold this information, it will be withheld from ALL ISD 728 communication.