General Health Information

  • Absent/Attendance

    Call the Absence Reporting line at 763-241-3555 for each day that your student will be absent due to illness, medical appointments, vacations, family emergency, etc.  Refer to the student handbook at your child's school for the attendance policy. Minnesota Statute requires schools to take specific actions when a student is continually absent from school without valid excuses. A medical excuse form may be required from a physician or a licensed mental health professional stating that the student cannot attend school. 

    Activity Restrictions

    Notify the school when your student needs to be excused from physical education or recess due to injury or illness. Written instructions are required from the student's health care provider if the student is to be excused for more than two days, and must include a re-entry date. 

    Allergies (Food/Latex)

    ISD 728 cannot guarantee to provide an allergen-free environment for students with life-threatening allergies; however, we are an allergy-aware district. We accommodate students with severe food allergies on an individual basis. We enforce that no latex ballons be permitted on school property.  For more information, see Allergy Information 

    Communicable Diseases

    All communicable conditions, i.e. Chicken Pox, Conjunctivitis (pink eye), Fifth Disease, Hand Foot & Mouth, Head Lice, Impetigo, Influenza, Mononucleousis, Pneumonia, and Strep Throat and Health Care Provider diagnosed Influenza should be reported to the Health Services Assistant 

    Emergency and Health Information

    The Emergency and Health Information forms are now available on line under Parent Portal.  This is your opportunity to inform the school of any changes with home, work, cell numbers, e-mail addresses, emergency contact numbers, and any significant health concerns. Please keep the school updated on all changes throughout the school year.  


    Our school policy recommends that if a student has a fever of 100.4 degrees or more, that they stay home for 24 hours after the temperature returns to normal without fever reducing medicine. If a student has vomited or has diarrhea, they need to stay home for 24 hours after the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea. For more information, see Is My Child Well Enough to go to School?

    If a student becomes ill or injured at school, they need to report to the Health Services office. 

    • Students need a pass from their teacher to go to the Health Services office. For secondary students, if it is in between classes, students need to report to their next hour class to receive a pass, unless it is an emergency.
    • Health Services personnel will sign a student in when they arrive and sign them out when they go back to class.
    • If students are ill or injured, Health Services personnel will determine if the student needs to go home. If students do not go through the Health Services office and goes home on their own, the absence will be marked as unexcused and detention may be assigned.
    • Health Services personnel will attempt to call parents first and then the names on the emergency contact information. A student will not be sent home without consulting an adult, unless they are emancipated.
    • Contact your school's administrator for emancipation forms.  


    To protect students from specific communicable diseases, Minnesota state law requires that all students be immunized.  All students must provide proof that the immunization schedules have been completed or are in process.  

    Students who cannot be vaccinated due to special medical conditions must provide a medical wavier signed by their physician.  Students whose parent conscientiously objects to certain vaccines must provide a current notarized form.  

    See Immunization/Physicals for more information.  


    The Minnesota Medication Law emphasizes that the Health Services personnel will give medications at school only when it is deemed necessary and under the following conditions:  

    • Written permission from the doctor indicating the necessity of medication at school for more than two weeks.
    • Written permission from the parent or guardian for medication that needs to be administered at school for less than two weeks.
    • All medications sent to school must be kept and administered in the Health Services office by the Health Services personnel.
    • All medication must be sent in the current and original prescription labeled container from their pharmacy.
    • Narcotic pain medications will not be given at school, i.e. Vicodin, Tylenol with Codeine, Darvocet, Percocet, etc.  If students need narcotic pain medications, they are not ready to return to school.  

    Health Services does not stock any over-the-counter medications (Benadryl, Tylenol, cough drops, etc.) for students or staff.  See Medication Law for more information.  

    Significant Health Concerns

    If a student has a significant health concern that has been diagnosed by a Health Care Provider, please complete an Action Plan related to their concern.  Each school year a new action plan needs to be completed and submitted.  Action plans allow school personnel to respond quickly to treat students, minimize classroom disruption, potentially eliminate emergency situations, and assist the student's quick return to the classroom.  

    Wheelchair and Crutches Guideline

    If a student needs a wheelchair or crutches at school, it must be provided from home and per Health Care Provider note.