Welcome to ISD 728!
Welcome to Independent School District 728 (ISD 728), the eighth largest school district in Minnesota. We are a progressive district located 35 miles northwest of Minneapolis. We proudly serve more than 13,000 neighborhood students and more than 50,000 total lifelong learners in all or parts of Albertville, Dayton, Elk River, Otsego, Ramsey, Rogers, St. Michael, Zimmerman and Nowthen, as well as the townships of Big Lake, Baldwin, Livonia, Orrock and Stanford.
Within ISD 728, there are 10 elementary schools, 6 middle schools and 4 high schools. We provide opportunities for ALL learners to discover and develop their unique talents. ISD 728 offers:
- Comprehensive early childhood through grade 12 curriculum that combines arts with academics.
- World languages: Spanish, French and German.
- State champion athletics teams.
- 6.5 Hour Every Day Kindergarten.
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination): a college readiness program for students in grades 8-12.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) elementary and middle schools.
- Advanced Placement and College in the Schools.
- Gifted and Talented Services.
- EdVenture Club: Before and after school enrichment and childcare for grades K-5.
- Online courses.
- Career Technical Education (CTE) programs.
- Minnesota Reading Corps: providing trained literacy tutors for children age 3 to grade 3.
- Flexible Scheduling.
- DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America).
- IMPACT (Inspire, Mentor, Pride, Achievement, Character, Training) leadership program.
- Arts Magnet Program.
- Music and theater.
- National Honor Society.
- And much more!
ISD 728 students continue to outperform the majority of their peers locally and nationally on state and national exams. More specifically and in 2019, ISD 728 students ranked at the top Mathematics when compared to peers in the top 10 largest Minnesota school districts and #3 in both Reading and Science.
In addition, the District takes great pride in programming offered through its Community Education Department, which serves all learners, from pre-schooler to senior citizen.
Our Mission and Core Values
Our mission is to educate, inspire and empower our diverse learners, to shape their futures, to accomplish their dreams and to contribute positively to our local and global communities.
We believe that:
- All people have value.
- Valuing and respecting differences strengthens the individual and the community.
- People thrive when they feel connected, supported and affirmed.
- Everyone can learn.
- Hope inspires and empowers.
- Lifelong learning is essential for personal growth.
- Change is an opportunity for growth.
If you are new to the school district, moved into one of our ISD 728 communities, have children ready to enter school, or are just not sure where to start, the Welcome Center can be your first stop in beginning your journey with ISD 728!
The Welcome Center can provide information regarding such things as which school your child would attend, how to complete the Online Registration, or to obtain general information about ISD 728. Call or stop in at the District Office today!
ISD 728 Welcome Center
11500 193rd Ave. NW, Elk River
School questions or tours
If you would like more information regarding your child’s school or would like to arrange a tour, please contact the school office. The list of schools, as well as the contact information, can be found by visiting www.isd728.org/Schools.
If you’re just finding out about ISD 728 because you have a newborn or toddler, need before or after school care services, or are curious about programming offered through Community Education, call or stop in at the Handke Family Center today!
Community Education and Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) Office:
The Handke Center
1170 Main Street
Elk River, MN 55330