Construction/Back to School Update
**** Class Schedules will be back to normal starting Monday, September 19, 2016 ****
Effective Tuesday, September 6, 2016 — Friday, September 16, 2016
ERHS Parents, Students and Staff,
First and foremost, we want to thank you for your patience as we work through the options for the start of the 2016-17 school year given the extensive water damage that occurred in building A on August 10, 2016. The good news is that, at this time, we have been cleared to fully occupy buildings B and C. This website will detail the process and the plan to start school on September 6 for all 9th and 12th grade students and on September 7 for all 10th and 11th grade students. Construction crews are working very hard to bring learning areas in building A into service tentatively by Monday, September 19. Our number one mission is to continue to provide a high quality education in a safe and orderly environment.
After several meetings with school staff, ISD 728 leadership, representatives of the Elk River Police Department, food service and members of the City of Elk River, we reviewed five options to determine which will best serve our students.
The committee discussed:
- Using Chromebook technology (1:1 learning) to deliver instruction completely online.
- Moving nearly 1,900 students and staff into buildings B and C.
- Moving one grade level (about 450 students) to an off-site location.
- Split shifts (two grades in the AM with two grades in the PM)
- Alternate days A/B (2 grades attend A days and 2 grades attend B days with flexible learning days occurring.
The alternate A/B schedule was determined to be the best option by the committee. This option keeps safety and learning as our top priorities, and it also allows for a variety of instructional delivery methods to continue for our students.
So what does this A/B schedule mean?
This option is a combination of face-to-face learning infused with flexible learning days for the first nine days of school. Students in grades 9 and 12 will attend school on A days with their flexible learning days occurring on B days at home. Students in grades 10 and 11 will attend school on B days with their flexible learning days on A days at home. (Click here for printable PDF)
Grades 9 and 12:
- A days (attend school): September 6, 8, 12, 14, 16
- B days (flexible learning days - at home): September 7, 9, 13, 15
Grades 10 and 11:
- A days (flexible learning days - at home): September 6, 8, 12, 14,16
- B days (attend school): September 7, 9, 13, 15