Driver Education Information
Driver Education Contract/Agreement
Form must be signed by parent and student. Click Here to Download (pdf)
Behind the Wheel Instructors
Contact one of the following Instructors to schedule your Behind the Wheel hours:
- Kevin O'Connell 763-458-1925
- Mike Hudson 763-441-6157
- Matt Johnson 612-598-3907
- Noah Willenbring 612-310-1681
Instructors have the right to charge a $30 fee if a student fails to cancel an appointment 24 hours in advance.
Testing Stations (Call 2-3 months ahead)
Elk River 763.765.4375
Anoka, Arden Hills and Plymouth 651.201.7900
MN Department of Driver & Vehicle Services website: www.mndriveinfo.org
Applying for a MN Learner's Permit:
To be eligible to apply for a Minnesota learner’s permit, you must:
- Be at least 15 years old.
- Have completed the classroom component of a Driver’s Ed course and be enrolled in the behind-the-wheel component. Community Education requires payment in full.
When you go to take the test, you will need to bring:
1 document of primary identification AND 1 document of secondary identification
- Primary forms:
Birth certificate (official)
- Secondary forms:
Certified school transcript
Secondary school ID card
- Your Driver’s Ed “Blue Card” (certificate of enrollment). The certificate must show you have completed the classroom section and are enrolled in the behind-the-wheel section.
Once you pass the written knowledge test, you can apply for a Learner’s Permit, you’ll need all documents listed above, PLUS:
- Proof you have passed the written exam.
- A completed permit application form. Your parent or guardian must be with you to sign the form, or you must have their signature notarized.
- Payment for the $14.25 learner’s permit fee. (check or cash)
Applying for a MN Class D Driver's License:
You Must Bring:
- Your social security number
- Your valid instruction permit
- Your own vehicle, on which:
- Doors must open from inside and outside.
- Seatbelts must work properly.
- Headlights, taillights, brake lights and turn signals must work properly.
- Vehicle registration must be current (license plates and registration stickers) or the vehicle must display a 21-day permit.
- Valid proof of insurance (such as the original insurance identification card or policy) for the vehicle you are taking the test in. Photocopies or copies off the Internet are not acceptable.
- Payment by cash or check only.
Additional needed if you are under 18 years of age:
- Present a certificate of course completion (white card) to prove you have completed an approved driver education course.
- Have held an instruction permit for at least six months with no convictions for moving violations or alcohol/controlled substance violations.
- A parent/guardian signature is required to apply for a driver’s license if the test is passed.
- Completed Supervised Driving Log (See below)
Supervised Driving Log:
Effective January 1, 2015, drivers under the age of 18 who complete Behind-the-Wheel instruction and are testing for a provisional driver’s license must submit a driving log. Parents/guardians have two options regarding the supervised driving log:
- Complete a supplemental parent class provided by a driver education program approved in Minnesota, and submit a supervised driving log showing their teen has completed at least 40 hours of supervised driving, 15 of which are nighttime hours; OR
- If the parent/guardian chooses not to complete the supplemental parent class, the driving log must show that their teen has completed at least 50 hours of supervised driving, 15 of which are nighttime hours.
Supervised Driving Log Form must be signed by parent and student. Click Here to Download (pdf)