Incoming 6th Graders - Important Dates
Student Orientation | Wednesday, August 21 (8-11:30am) @ Prairie View
Band Lessons | August 12-16 & August 19-23
Open House | Thursday, August 29th (5-6:30pm) @ Prairie View
First Day of School | Tuesday, September 3rd
Please take note of some important information:
6th Grade Orientation
- Wednesday, August 21 from 8-11:30 AM at Prairie View
- This is a student only event. (Prairie View teachers and support staff will supervise.)
- Transportation is provided by Vision for students assigned to ride a bus for the school year. (Students will be picked up at their regularly scheduled time and pick-up stop.)
- If students DO NOT ride the bus, please drop them off at school at our main entrance at 7:55 AM.
- Students will learn about middle school, participate in activities, and tour the school.
- Students do not need to bring anything with them and should wear comfortable shoes.
Middle School Open House
- Thursday, August 29 from 5:00-6:30 PM at Prairie View
- Middle School Schedules will be available on Parent Portal the day of Open House.
- Middle School students can pick up a hard copy planner at Open House.
- Vision plans to send information to families.
- Families should be able to check Parent Portal for bus information for our 6th grade orientation on the day before the event.
Campus Parent Portal
- All parents should sign up for an account if they do not have one.
- Parents should go to Families > Campus Parent Portal on our district website to sign up.
- All 6th grade students will receive a Chromebook to use throughout the the 2019-20 school year.
- Please see Parent and Student Home Use Agreement.
- More information about our Chromebooks can be found on our school website under the Families tab.
- All 6th grade parents and students should plan to attend our Chromebook orientation during open house.
First Day of School
- Tuesday, September 3
School Calendar/Student Schedule
- All students will follow our district’s elementary calendar.
- Student School Day~ 8:15 AM-2:55 PM (first bell at 8:00 AM)
- Students who walk or are dropped off may enter the building at 7:50 AM.
- It is important that students do not arrive before 7:50 AM as there is no supervision prior to this time.
- If a student is tardy, a student must enter through our main entrance and be signed in by a parent.
- All bus riders will enter our bus doors at 8:00 AM and exit the same doors at 2:55 PM each day.
- All walkers/parent pick students will need a backpack tag or blue note to exit the main doors at 2:55 PM each day.
- Adult crossing guards will assist students to cross safely at two points. (crossing 80th via Maciver and crossing our parking lot entrance to our school’s sidewalk)
- 6th graders will follow a six period day, which will include a 30 minute lunch/recess and advisory time.
Parent Pick Up/Drop Off
We are requesting that all parents observe the following expectations:
- Put student and staff safety first when driving on or near school grounds.
- Drive vehicles to the farthest open slot around the circle to allow more parents to pick up/drop off their children.
- Pick up and drop off students within the designated area only.
- Be aware of students and staff who are in the crosswalk areas at all times.
- Do not drive through the crosswalk area when students/parents/staff are crossing.
- Park in the lot if entering the building. (Do not park in the pick up/drop off area.) We discourage parents from walking into the building to pick up their children at the end of the day; however, students must have an adult walk with them from the building to the parking lot.
- Observe all posted traffic signs and traffic laws.
- Supply lists can be found at many local stores and on our school website under the Families tab.
- All visitors must enter and exit through our main entrance to our building (door 1). (Visitors will be asked to sign in and wear a visitor sticker before entering our hallways and will be asked to sign out when exiting the building.)
- We will use a ‘no check’ policy at Prairie View. All school payments, including lunch, will need to be made with cash or credit/debit cards. We are only able to accept checks in specific circumstances.
- We will use online conference scheduling this year. Parents will receive more information about this process in October. If parents do not have access to a computer to complete the online scheduling, the school office will be able to assist with the process during the sign-up window.
Please look for additional information from our school via postal service and email prior to our first day of school. If you have questions, concerns, or needs, please do not hesitate to call our school office.