Welcome to Ivan Sand Community High School
Welcome to Ivan Sand Community High School (ISCHS), formerly the Elk River Area Learning Center. ISCHS is an alternative high school for students with different or unique needs. It is our plan to do everything we can to help you achieve all of your educational goals in an individual manner. Ivan Sand Community High School is committed to excellence. We are a secondary program that is designed to help students, who may be at-risk of not graduating, earn a diploma. Our students receive individualized attention to succeed in meeting the same graduation requirements as students across the district and the state.
We have approximately 120 students and 10 teachers. We use a variety of strategies that include smaller group settings and a strong emphasis on personal and social growth. Alternative programs allow students who are at risk of not graduating to attend nontraditional schools, both public and private and to earn a diploma. Minnesota has more than 150 alternative programs at more than 600 sites throughout the state. Many programs combine academics with a strong vocational emphasis.
In addition to offering a non-traditional high school setting, the staff at Ivan Sand coordinate a number of extended services offered in the district including extended-day, extended-year, after-school and summer school programs.
The school grew from the Elk River Area Learning Center, which opened in 1987 in response to the growing population of high school students who were working below their potential in the traditional setting. Ivan Sand Community High School opened in its own building in 1998. It was dedicated and named after Ivan Sand who first proposed an alternative education option in Elk River. Sand died from cancer in 1990. His family continues to support the students of Ivan Sand through an annual students of the year award and memorial scholarship fund.
For more information about the school or to register, contact our main office at 763-241-3530.
Who can attend an alternative school?
According to the State of Minnesota Department of Education, eligible students meet any of the following criteria:
- Performs substantially below the performance level for pupils of the same age in a locally determined achievement test
- Is behind in satisfactorily completing coursework or obtaining credits for graduation
- Is pregnant or is a parent
- Has been assessed as chemically dependent;
- Has been excluded or expelled according to sections 121A.40 to 121A.56
- Has been referred by a school district for enrollment in an eligible program or a program pursuant to section 124D.69;
- Is a victim of physical or sexual abuse;
- Has experienced mental health problems;
- Has experienced homelessness sometime within six months before requesting a transfer to an eligible program;
- Speaks English as a second language or has limited English proficiency;
- Has withdrawn from school or has been chronically truant; or
- Is being treated in a hospital in the seven-county metropolitan area for cancer or other life threatening illness or is the sibling of an eligible pupil who is being currently treated.
What other types of extended service does the district offer to help students succeed?
In addition to its alternative high school, the Elk River Area School District also offers an array of extended services to meet our goal of educating, inspiring and empowering students. Extended services include extended-day, extended-year, after-school and summer school options. For more information, contact Ivan Sand Community High School.