Skip To Main Content

Medication Law

The Minnesota Medication Law emphasizes that Health Services personnel will give medication at school only in exceptional circumstances when your child’s health may be jeopardized without it.  For the safety of students, it is recommended that medication be given at home whenever possible.  For example, medication prescribed three times a day can be given before school, after school, and at bedtime. 

Health Services does not supply stock medications such as Benadryl, Tylenol, cough drops or any other over-the-counter medications.  If your child needs to take medication at school, the law states we can give medication only under the following conditions:  

  • Written authorization from your child’s physician/licensed prescriber (must be provided within two weeks).
  • Written authorization from parents or guardians (an oral request must be reduced to writing within two school days).
  • Medication must be kept in the Health Services office in a currently labeled pharmacy bottle/original packaging. You need to ask your pharmacist to provide duplicate bottles of the prescription. One bottle to be kept at home and the other at school.
  • Call your student’s Health Services personnel regarding self-carry laws and school requirements.
  • We encourage parents/guardians to bring the medication to the School Health Services office.  If this is not possible, contact us as to when your child will bring it to us and how many capsules/tablets you are sending.

Special Note:  You are in violation of this state law if a student takes medication outside of the School Health Services office that has not been processed through that office.  This includes all nonprescription medications such as aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen.  

We care about your child's safety:  Narcotic pain medications will not be given at school, i.e. Vicodin, Tylenol with Codeine, Darvocet, Percocet, etc.  If your child needs narcotic pain medication at school, he/she is not ready to return to school.  

Authorization forms to give medication in school are available in each school Health Services office and local clinics or download Authorization for Administration of Medication at School.  

School Physicals

School physicals are recommended, but not required, for children entering K, 4th, 7th 10th grades, the form to complete is available in each school Health Services office or download Health and Medical Examination.  

If you have a school health question, email  Health Services personnel will respond in a timely manner.  Medication forms can be faxed to 763-241-3410 for processing.

Dietary Supplements

Health Services shall not administer any dietary supplements, herbal products or any products not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.


Rhianon Herman, RN, PHN, LSN
Manager of Health Services
(763) 241-3400 x1245
Shannon Buckingham
Senior Administrative Asst.
Health Services Asst. - COMPASS

(763) 241-3400 x1246