Special Education and Services
“If a child cannot learn in the way we teach, we must teach in a way the child can learn.”
— Ivar Lovaas
Welcome to the ISD 728 Special Education website. Our hope is this site will be used as a resource for parents, staff and our community.
Our department serves special needs students from birth to twenty-one years of age. Our staff enjoys working with our students to educate, empower, and inspire our diverse learners. We recognize and support the importance of individualizing the educational experience to meet the unique needs of each student. We are focused on increased student learning - academic, social, emotional and functional. We aim to provide the student with tools to become a self-sufficient, contributing member of society and to foster the student’s development of a positive self-concept and identity within the larger community.
Our school district provides a comprehensive array of special education services for qualified students and offers a variety of service delivery models within the school district. Eligible students receive special education services in the most appropriate setting, ranging from at home for young children to their neighborhood school, or when needed, in specialized placements. The focus for K-12 students is always to serve students in their general education classroom as much as appropriate.
Our special education teachers, related specialists and staff:
- Identify students with disabilities through referral and evaluation
- Comply with State and Federal Rules and Regulations for Due Process Procedures and ensuring a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
- Promote inclusion and collaboration within the Least Restrictive Environment for students with disabilities birth to age 21
- Ensure best practices and standards-based instruction
- Provide primary disability and related services delivery based on identified needs through the Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Collaborate with community resources to meet the needs of students with disabilities
- Comply with Health Related Services Reimbursement (third-party billing)
- Actively participate in professional development to remain current with special education statutes, rules, regulations, and best practices in specialized instruction
If you have additional questions and would like to speak to a specific Special Education staff member directly, you may use our staff directory or contact the Special Education Supervisor assigned to your child’s school building listed to the right. Thank you for taking a moment to learn more about the Special Education Department in ISD 728.
11500-193rd Ave NW
Elk River, MN 55330
SPED Curriculum Specialist
Early Childhood Special Education
Meadowvale Elementary, Vandenberge Middle, Ivan Sand, Journey/Focus Program
Westwood Elementary, Zimmerman Elementary, Salk Middle, Zimmerman Middle/High, Elk River High,
763-241-3400, ext: 1252
Otsego Elementary, Prairie View Elem/Middle, Rogers Middle, Rogers High, COMPASS
"Our experience with the special education services we've received has been nothing but positive."
— ISD 728 parent of a student with special needs