Join Our Legislative Action Team!
Each year, ISD 728 constructs its Legislative Platform - a list of recommendations and requests for our Representatives and Senators at the Minnesota State Capitol - in an effort to advocate at the state government level for our ISD 728 students and families.
This year, our Legislative Platform has a sense of urgency, as ISD 728 attempts to tackle a projected budget shortfall of more than $10 million for the 2019-2020 school year.
“Years of inadequate funding and formula disparities that put districts like ISD 728 at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to state funding have led to our largest budget reduction in years, and that’s after cutting more than $10 million from our general budget over the last six years,” said Superintendent Dan Bittman. “We are asking our legislators to support our 2019 Legislative initiatives, increase education funding and create equity that will, in turn, create and ensure quality experiences in education for all learners.”
ISD 728 is seeking volunteers from around our district to be a part of our Legislative Action Team (LAT) - a group of concerned citizens who will advocate for our district when it visits St. Paul later this session.
The team's purpose is to:
- Make recommendations to the School Board regarding the annual Legislative Platform.
- Work to build positive relationships with legislators representing ISD 728.
- Report to the community (including all parents and guardians) regarding legislative issues affecting ISD 728.
- Determine strategies and tactics for legislative advocacy.
- Enlist support of community resources as needed.
If you are interested in joining the LAT, fill out our form at www.isd728.org/JoinOurLAT.
If you have questions, contact Community Education and Community Engagement Director Cory Franson at firstname.lastname@example.org.